My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

26 September 2006

Daughters of the King

Each day, I pray that God will free his daughters from the artificial limits that we humans, both men and women put on them. Why, after all, cannot God's daughters pass a communion tray, or read a scripture, or say a public prayer during the "holy" hour on Sunday morning? I sometimes lack patience for people's unwillingness to even consider change.

Some people tell me that reason that we in Churches of Christ continue to cling to the traditional limits on women is that we have works-driven rather than grace-centered theology and soteriology. Because we fear that error on even a minor point will be sufficient to keep us out of heaven, we'd rather play it safe. That, of, course, was the logic of the one-talent man, who found, to his regret, that playing it safe is not what his master called or expected him to do.

Maybe there's truth in that analysis; but I hesitate to impugn other people's motives (though I do it anyway, sometimes). I do agree that we should teach grace, and to fail to do so leads us to fall naturally(1) back on our own works. But, I also remember that I have been on a long journey myself, and that I cannot expect people to change overnight if I didn't.

Still, I want to see change now. I'm impatient in my patience. "Father, free your daughters!"


1. Note the etymology of "natural": of one's birth. Maybe I'll write more on this another time.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'd love to join you in the learning process. How do you move forward? Refuse entry into unbiblical gender exclusive roles? Gently educate until a new reality exists? Hold a "sit in" (Although on Sunday morning no one would know the difference)?

26 September, 2006 22:49  
Blogger TWD said...

"Sit in" is exactly where plenty of folks would like to keep the King's daughters. How about a "stand-on-the-podium in"?

27 September, 2006 08:29  
Blogger Unknown said...

Doesn't have the same ring to it, but okay.

28 September, 2006 00:08  
Blogger Brandon said...

We'll have to ask the elders. There really isn't any biblical precedent for female participation in their own "stand-on-the- podium-in". Maybe the women can silently advocate for themselves.

28 September, 2006 13:34  
Blogger Thunder Fan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

30 September, 2006 12:06  
Blogger Thunder Fan said...

Maybe the question is, "Father, how can I help free your daughters?" Rescuing a princess (a daughter of the king) has long been a staple of hero stories.

30 September, 2006 12:08  
Blogger Brandon said...

I hope to see you weigh in soon on the current discussion.

02 October, 2006 18:50  
Blogger TWD said...

I weighed in this morning and found I've lost eight pounds.

Thunder fan's reference to the myth of the hero worshipping the princess made me think of Shrek. In that movie, the one who should have been the hero fobbed off the job on someone else. Guess who ended up with the princess?

This is good discussion, but it's time to turn discussion into action. Past time.

03 October, 2006 09:59  
Blogger Brandon said...

I meant the elder "Re: Rather Humbling" email discussion. I'm throwing my chips in today in honor of Thunder fan.

03 October, 2006 16:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home